Health and Safety Policy and Procedures
Health and safety is an important aspect of any business and helps to ensure that your employees are cared for. According to Health and Safety Executive almost 700,000 people self-reported an injury at the workplace (Labour Force Survey) and employers have reported over 65,000 injuries (RIDDOR). Your business is legally required to have a health and safety policy if you employ five people or more. If you have fewer than five people, there is no requirement to write anything down.
A policy statement sets out the required level of health and safety that you are maintaining at the workplace and includes the procedures you have put in place to achieve that level.
Generally, business policies include three sections:
- The statement of general policy on health and safety at work sets out your commitment to managing health and safety effectively, and what you want to achieve
- The responsibility section sets out who is responsible for specific actions
- The arrangements section contains the detail of what you are going to do in practice to achieve the aims set out in your statement of health and safety policy
With almost 20 years of experience, McCann Risk Management Solutions can help you write your Health and Safety Policy and set out the required procedures to achieve it. We can also assist you with additional actions that might need to be taken such as:
- staff training (we have trained over 1000 staff nationwide and delivered over 700 training programmes),
- risk assessment;
and focus on activities that present a risk to people or can potentially cause serious harm by:
- giving advice on improving safety equipment, such as guards or additional personal protective equipment, including goggles, safety boots or high-visibility clothing, improved lighting and anti-slip flooring etc.
- providing information on replacing hazardous chemicals with less harmful alternatives wherever required.
With McCann, you will receive honest and up-to-date service, advice, and training programmes to ensure that your workplace is healthier and safer for your employees. We provide specialised health and safety packages specifically tailored to your workplace needs.